Saturday, May 14, 2011

slow down.

Our Generation the Millenniums, we are a connected generation, phone constantly in our hands, ipods in our ears, updating facebook or twitter. So connected we have become disconnected. So busy with whats online we don't see whats in front of us. We are producing a Generation of socially awkward individuals who know only how to communicate to people through the medium of social networking sites. What ever happened to parks and parties? Have you been to a party lately when you get there everyone is on their phone talking, calling everyone else asking where they at or complaining about this party or formulating plans to do after the party. stop and take a look around its disheartening the only reason I notice it is because I am on the cusp of Generation X and The Millenniums, I'm stuck in both worlds I find myself doing what I hate and I literally shake my head in disappointment. Where did this need to be constantly plugged in come from? why must we be so available all the time, would the world cease to exist if we didnt respond to a text, IM, Tweet, status update, picture comment, email?
I feel naked when I leave my phone at home I literally cut my day short, without my blackberry. Since I hate when people point out the problems without providing a solution I will further examine it and maybe propose something. Our phones/ Ipods have become an extension of ourselves they define and protect us. are you an Iphone person or a blackberry or a droid? they shield us, from unwanted social interaction but shouldn't shield us from all interaction, that is what they are slowly doing. I propose a national no phone day. 1 day a year where everyone either turns off their phone or leave it at home. The counter argument is what about emergencies, people with children? My counter-argument cellphones didn't always exist somehow people manage whole lives without them. I have been cutting my post short for the simple fact that I know people become discouraged when they see a wall of text, and would prefer they read something rather then nothing at all. Semester is almost over 2 large papers and one panthlet is due, grind time, To all my lovers, haters, no opinions, " Its like the world is in my hands now Im feeling so rebellious. "

No comments:

Post a Comment